Sunday, June 9, 2013

Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth

I was on Arranmore Island in Donegal last Friday and Saturday.  While waiting for the boat to push off on the Saturday morning, I came upon these two Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moths feeding on scented plants in the harbour next to Bru Hostel.  I first took them to be Hummingbird Hawkmoths but on further inspected they turned out to be Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth. There have been 13 previous sightings in Donegal, but non for the island.  Throughout the country there have been 191 records with the majority coming from county Fermanagh, (see http://www.mothsireland.com/specieslist.htm).

 Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth © John N Murphy

2 comments:

  1. Crackin shots of a great looking insect Murf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in northern Indiana and had one visit me at my flower garden!

    ReplyDelete